Pages

Why am I Running from Cancer?

Why am I Running from Cancer?. . . check out this post for an explanation

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Latest house project

We remodeled our kitchen 2 yrs ago.  Didn't change any of the footprint - but replaced flooring, cabinets and appliances.  Our kitchen island had a maple butcher block block counter top - we really liked it - but didn't think it would really work with our remodel - plus I wanted a island counter top that could stand up to anything.  We replaced our laminate and butcher block counter tops with a granite like product - called Zodiak Quartz by Dupont.  I love them - but felt bad getting rid of the butcher block because it was a beautiful piece of wood.  So we stood it on end and have kept it in the garage for the last 2 plus years.



A couple of times we thought maybe we should sell it on Craig's List . . . someone else could clearly do something with this, instead of us just storing it in our garage.  But we didn't sell it - and finally I had an Ah Ha Moment . . . let's build a computer desk with it.  Of course my son, the engineer, jumped on this idea and came up with a floating design and then we went to work.  He sanded it, I stained and refinished the butcher block and then we went looking for different pieces of metal to attach it to the wall.  We settled on piping fixtures.  Here are before and after pictures of the butcher block as the center island in the kitchen as as the new computer desk.  Sweet!!!




We still have to build a ledge under the desk for the power strip, so that the cords are out of sight . . . but you get the idea.

On a fitness front.  I have continued with my running and biking training.   On Wednesday evening after work, some of the bike team went for a training ride of 20 miles in 1.5 hours.  Not to make excuses .  .  . but being the oldest rider, by 20 years, is clearly going to make me train harder.  There were 5 of us, 3 men and 2 women.  We were biking 13.5 miles / hour - which is not an extremely fast pace - but there were times going up some hills, when I thought I wasn't going to make it . . . and I was last in line.  Wow - I have been biking pretty regularly and usually bike to work at around 12 miles / hour.  So today - instead of heading out for a 35 mile bike ride - I am going to do some speed work using my neighborhood 2 mile loop.  It is flat - and very little traffic - so I am going to try to do 20 miles as fast as I can.  ;-)  

I have a 8-9 mile run on schedule for tomorrow.  Since I will be up at the normal time tomorrow morning - I will get out there early and get my run done before the heat and humidity starts climbing.  

Heading out the door now for my bike ride - I have to get back to watch the US soccer game.  ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Great idea for the butcher block...looks awesome!
    You are sure getting lots of biking done...it's crazy how when we start something like that, we can't help getting into it...speed work on the bike!! You rock :)

    ReplyDelete