Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Sunday, December 6, 2009
AM Snow Showers
Snow Showers/Wi- nd
| High: 15°|
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
Sunday, November 29, 2009
Saturday, November 28, 2009
So I have two ski trips planned for this winter. My sons and I will be traveling to Steamboat Springs CO over Christmas - - - love love love Steamboat. I also have a trip planned to Vail in February with a friend. I have been looking for conferences and found one in Denver – since I will be there – I will stay for 5 more days and ski with a friend in Vail. How lucky am I – two trips to Colorado for skiing this winter.
I only started downhill skiing 5 years ago. Up until then I had never been on downhill ski’s. My son had signed up for ski club in Middle School and we attended a reduced family ski trip over Christmas break. After that I enjoyed it – but had only skied a few times in Wisconsin. Then a friend was organizing a trip to Colorado and asked me if I was interested in going. This was the year after I had competed my chemo treatments for breast cancer. I didn’t even have to think about the answer . . . it was Yes – yes – yes.
Enjoy the Day – it’s my 54th Birthday!!!!
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
I have been very good about icing and stretching my plantar fascia ligament daily. I also did a lot of Google searches about plantar fasciitis and remembered that I have a pair of orthotics. Searched in my closet and what do you know – I found them, and have been wearing them in my work shoes and running shoes. Although I still feel it – it does feel better. I am also taking the many suggestions that say you should make sure that you stretch it before getting out of bed in the morning. So I have a stretch band next to the bed and make sure that I do that for a couple of minutes before rising.
So far this week, I took Sophie for a walk on Monday morning and evening and ran 3.2 miles at lunch. On Tuesday I walked Sophie in the morning and rode the Elliptical at work yesterday evening after work. I ran this morning and will take Sophie for a walk tonight. And I have been eating 7 servings of fruits and veggies each day. Yea for me. -J Looking forward to a long week end and getting some longer runs / walks in to boost my points. I had thought about running the Berbee Derby, a 5 or 10 k run on Thanksgiving Day – but decided against it since my foot is still bothering me . . . the competitive side of me would find it hard to run an easy race. So I will continue with my comfy 2-3 mile runs and try to extend it this weekend to 5-6 milers.
My son Joe, 21 and a senior in college, is coming home tonight. It will be nice to spend some time with him – maybe he will run a couple of times with me. He runs way faster than me – he ran the ½ marathon with me in August, he ran it in 1:28, while I ran it in 2:12 – oh well. He has talked about running a marathon and would love to qualify for Boston – which at that pace – I think he would be able to pretty easily. While I would love to try and run another marathon – the training time commitment is just too much for me. My one and only marathon was in 2000. It was as a result of my year 2000 New Year’s Resolution. I ran the Madison Marathon in 4:15. Anyway – it would be more fun to cheer for my son than train for another marathon. My younger son, Charlie is a senior in high school and finally submitted 4 college applications last night. I had been reminding him and reminding him that we had set a goal of getting them submitted BEFORE Thanksgiving and he did. Way to go Charlie!!!
Have a great day and enjoy family and friends over the long weekend.
Enjoy the day
Saturday, November 21, 2009
Saturday, November 14, 2009
- 4 doses of Adriamycin / Cytoxan - every two weeks - side effect: nausea
- Surgery - right side mastectomy - the cancer that was removed was 12 cm - which, even though it has been 5 years, still astonishes me. I find it hard to believe that I had a mammogram in May and this didn't show up - but that is the sneaky thing about IBC - since it grows in sheets, it is much more difficult to find. I also had lymph nodes removed during the mastectomy - 13 were taken out with 6 of them containing cancer.
- 4 doses of Taxotere - every three weeks - side effect: blister type burns on feet, hands and inside of my mouth
- Had a port surgically implanted in my chest - to make the weekly injections easier to handle
- 28 Radiation sessions
- Weekly chemo drug called Herceptin for 1 year
- breakfast on the road - Egg McMuffin and Micky D's Hazelnut latte (way too sweet)
- lunch (during my meeting) was fried rice with stir fry vegies, egg roll with sauce and a fortune cookie
- after the meeting on our way back to Madison we stopped at Kopp's in Milwaukee a yummy shop with the best frozen custard and I had a peanut butter with hot fudge shake.