Pages

Why am I Running from Cancer?

Why am I Running from Cancer?. . . check out this post for an explanation

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Week 1 of MS 150 and 1/2 Marathon training

So this was my first week of training for the MS 150 bike ride and 1/2 marathon.  Yikes - I can honestly say that I was tired.  As I look back on the week, not only was it busy with biking and running, but additionally there were a couple of other things going on that attributed to my being tired.

On Wednesday evening I slept overnight at my church on a portable cot.  My church is part of a program called "A Road Home".  Four times during the year, my church houses 5-6 homeless families for a week.  As a host church, members cook dinner, play with the children during the evening and sleep over night at the church.  I will only say that the cot's are not very comfy . . . and I only sleep on them for 1 evening at a time, the guests sleep on them for months at a time.  The families move from church to church - until they can find permanent housing, which usually takes 10-12 weeks.

Additionally, my son graduated from high school on Friday.

My bike training:
Saturday:  32 miles - included here, even though I previously blogged about it - it contributed to my being tired.
Monday:  15 miles - biked to work
Wednesday:  15 miles - biked to work
Thursday:  15 miles - biked to work

total bike miles:  77

My running schedule:
Saturday:  3.1 miles - Komen Race for the Cure
Sunday:  4 miles
Wednesday:  3 miles
Saturday:  3 miles
Sunday 5 miles

total run miles:  18

Last week was Bike to Work week - I biked to work 3 times for a total of 45 miles.  Best part was that the city had set up various tents along the cities bike paths and they were serving donuts and coffee.  So I indulged in a donut three mornings last week.  YIKES!!!!  I don't usually eat donuts - but they were so good.


My workout this week:

Bike Run
Monday 0 0
Tuesday 15 3.5
Wednesday 15 6 X 400
Thursday 0 3
Friday 0 rest
Saturday 38 rest
Sunday 11 5


I will be anxious to see if I can do it.  I think I can . . . I think I can . . . I know I can.  ;-)

I have to admit that my foot is bothering me a bit.  My stress fracture issues, seem to be irritated.  Top of my foot is slightly swollen - and the discomfort is more of an irritant vs pain.  I am going to take some ibuprofen and ice it for a little bit.  


3 comments:

  1. I love that you biked to work!!! You have a great schedule it looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I wish I could bike to work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    Just found your blog. You are very inspiring!!

    I am training for a 1/2 marathon, too.

    Check me out if you get time...

    andreachronicles314.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete