Why am I Running from Cancer?

Why am I Running from Cancer?. . . check out this post for an explanation

Friday, May 20, 2011

Great Friday off of work

I took today off of work - It was a Linda day - one of my 55 goal, was to take 5 days of vacation for me.  Well, today turned out to be one of those days.  Only thing on the agenda was a long run and a long bike ride.
Woke up to mild temp's and sunshine!  When I headed out for my run, it was around 65 with 70+% humidity.  I started off with 2 miles with Sophie, then I came home and dropped her off and then headed out again.  My original plan was to run 8 more miles, but based on the warmer / humid temp's I decided to shot for 6 more miles for a total of 8.  Don't get me wrong - the weather was BEAUTIFUL - but on Monday and Tuesday we had FROST warnings . . . so to say that I am not quite use to warmer temp's is an understatement.
I started out on my route and felt pretty good, so I decided to add a few extra blocks, and ended up finishing 9.7 miles in 1:41.  Not the fastest time - but reasonable.
I took some time for a little something to eat, changed clothes and got ready to bike.

Here is a shot of the back of my ankle area, right next to my Achilles tendon.
My plan was to bike downtown, using my commuter route, then hook up with the bike trail and head out for the 20 mile Capital City Bike Trail, then head back home, for a total 35 mile trip.  I got downtown and was on the bike path, but had to cross a major intersection.  I stopped and waited for the signal - crossing over to the next light.  Here is where things went wrong.  I was stopped at the second light, as was a car that was stopped for the light.  I was right next to the driver and he appeared to nod his head at me, with I interpreted as him telling me to go ahead - well I was clearly WRONG - because while I took off to go in front of him, so did he.  I had to try and stop - which I did, but I also fell.  In the process, I obviously hit the back of my ankle with my pedal and ended up slicing it.  I walked over to the grass and pulled a couple band aids out of my bag.  Problem was that I also used some of my water, to try and clean it off a little, so the band aids didn't stick very well.  At this point I was 7 miles from home, right next to my office and I had to decide whether to keep going, or head back home.  I kept going.   

I stopped on the Cap City Path, enjoyed a snack of a Luna bar and checked my phone.  I had a missed call from my husband.  We are in the process of looking for new family room furniture and had discussed possibly meeting somewhere this afternoon to look at a couple of options that I had found.  I told him that I was on the bike path, but could head back into town and without much extra effort get to the store in about 15 minutes.  
So, 20 miles into my bike ride, we stopped at a furniture store and purchased new furniture.  ;-)
Then my husband headed to visit his dad, and I headed back home.  Since I had cut off some of the trail, I didn't get the full 35 miles . . . only 31.4 in 2:29.  Felt pretty good, other than my ankle and happy to have purchased the furniture.  Next is new carpet.  Maybe that will be this weekend.  

Heading to bed - I just know I am going to sleep well tonight!  


  1. Yikes! That must have been scary. I hope the ankle "slice" doesn't prevent you from running for too long...
    Nice that you found some furniture though :)

  2. so sorry about your accident linda! sounds lik eyou're making the best of it. How scary tho. Nice you took a detour to the store and still finished your ride -- tota awesomeness! I love how you are schedulign these linda days for yourself. that is really wonderful. Way to recharge!!

  3. Ouch! I'm glad your run in with the driver wasn't worse. Kind of funny that you had a mid-ride furniture break.