Pages

Why am I Running from Cancer?

Why am I Running from Cancer?. . . check out this post for an explanation

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Last Sunday of . . .

. . . 2013. I started the morning with a 4 mile run with Sophie. It was cold, but the forecast was to continue to get colder as the day went on, so around 9:30 Sophie and I headed out the door. Holy cow, it was slippery! There must have been a fine layer of mist on the pavement that froze and that made for a very slow and cautious run. Once we made it out of the neighborhood the roads generally have more traffic and ended up being in better shape but it was still a run that kept me slow and careful. I had thought about wearing my yaktrax, but I don't think it would have helped, the little ice that was on the pavement was just a very thin layer.

The temp's were still in the mid 20's so there was lots of slush on the roads. Sophie's belly was full of grit and salt and needed an under chassis wash when we got home!

Early afternoon took us out to mega warehouse Costco and mega local grocery store Woodman's. I usually stock up on the big bags of broccoli and cauliflower at Costco. I love the convenience of having the broccoli and cauliflower already cut up but didn't buy any today because the "best purchased by" date was January 1 - no way could I eat that much by Wednesday!!! I searched the bottom of the containers, but couldn't find any later dates.

Back home I made a quick salmon quesadilla with creamy chipotle cilantro sauce for lunch, HERE. I had purchased the smoked salmon last weekend so I figured I could try another recipe before tossing the salmon. How long does smoked salmon last in the frig? I just googled it, and most answers said 5-7 days after opening the package. So it was OK today. I love a good quesadilla and I love smoked salmon, but I am not sure I would make the combo again, but I definitely would make the creamy chipotle cilantro sauce for sandwiches. It would be great on turkey or a cucumber and tomato sandwich!

 

Then we settled in to watch the Packer / Bear game. (Current score is 27-28). Sure hoping Rogers can pull out a win for the Pack, I would hate to lose to the Bears twice in the season!!!!! Updated to report: the Packers WON!

At the half we headed into the kitchen to make Spicy Jambalaya, HERE. We are now patiently waiting for the Jambalya to be ready!

Adding to the jambalaya will be a loaf of 'rosemary olive oil bread' from Costco and a bottle of Charles & Charles chardoney!

The Jambalya was really good. I have recipe for a 'day long' version of jambalaya that is REALLY good, but I would have to say the Jenna's version is much easier, quicker and pretty much - just as good - yum! I learned years ago that while I love to cook - I would rather spend less time cooking, since no matter how long it takes you to cook, it takes the same amount of time to eat! I added a little hot sauce from 'Crazy Ed's Chili Beer hot Sauce' - HERE. We brought it back from Key West.

You can't go wrong with a bottle of Chalres & Charles HERE! Don't let the twist off top put you off - it is a good Chardonnay!

Enjoy the moments!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment