Pages

Why am I Running from Cancer?

Why am I Running from Cancer?. . . check out this post for an explanation

Monday, May 31, 2010

Goals for the summer - MS 150 and Mini Marathon

Knowing that I needed something to stay motivated over the summer I knew I was going to sign up for the 2nd Madison Mini Marathon in August.  I did the inaugural race last year and really enjoyed the course.  But I didn't know until Friday that I was going to sign up for the MS 150 Best Dam Bike Ride on August 7 & 8th.  There is a group of people at work that do this every year.  I have wanted to in the past - but we are usually on vacation that week end . . . but not this year . . . so I signed up.  I am very excited - but a little nervous.  I biked 11 miles on Saturday - in the heat and wondered "how in the world I would bike 150 miles over 2 days???????"  I know I will be able to do it - it will just take training.  My 8+ mile bike to work will be nothing compared to this.  Looking forward to it.


On a running front - I am going to follow Hal Higdon's 1/2 marathon training schedule and will add a biking training schedule to the plan.  Today calls for Strength and Stretch - so I will be doing that and add a bike ride.


I biked down to Tenney park to be able to see Chelsea from EarlyRunner and Mary Ann ( a friend from work) running the 1/2 marathon yesterday and Jamie from RunningDivaMom run the marathon.  It was brutal out there.  The temp's were near 90 and the humidity was high. I was drenched from biking 5 miles and really can't imagine how the runners kept it up.  Chelsea and Mary Ann were spotted first - they were in mile 6 of 13.  Then the marathoners started to show up, they were in mile 11-12 . . . and there was Jamie - running strong.  I biked with her for about a mile and then wished her luck.  She did great.  You can read her race report here.  The race was officially called at 4 hours due to the extreme weather conditions.  But she kept running and finished great.  So proud of her.  Now today is a day of rest for all the runners from yesterday.  Oh course as luck would have it - it is cool and overcast this morning - seemingly perfect weather for a race . . . .


Enjoy the day off.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks :) ...your encouragement along the way has been priceless.

    How cool that you will bike for 150 miles over two days...wow!!!!! You will totally do it, because you are a strong woman and you seem to do what you set out to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear you're back to running. Thanks again for coming out and cheering. It was super hot out, and every little bit of motivation helped. That bike ride sounds intense. Good luck getting back into training.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again for everything, Linda! You're a peach!!

    Good luck getting back into a groove. The bike race sounds fun! Good luck with your training. Just thinking of it makes my bottom hurt!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that you are doing better!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh i know lots of folks who do that bike ride and I'm always in awee...it's just not my cup of tea. I prefer to pound the pavement :) Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete