Pages

Why am I Running from Cancer?

Why am I Running from Cancer?. . . check out this post for an explanation

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Bonk - Bonked - Bonking!

I don't usually like to admit that something kicked my butt.  But today's Boys and Girls Club 50 mile bike ride clearly kicked me right where it hurts from riding for 50 miles!!

I know the route - this is my 4th year participating so I am should be ready for it . . .

I take responsibility for it.  I was going to type "I take responsibility for part of it" . . . but really there is only the bike and me involved!

There were eight of us doing the bike ride - 4 doing the 25 mile route and 4 doing the 50 mile route.  When we got to the first rest stop at mile 12, my friend decided to wait for the others in our group and ride the shorter route with them.  No big deal - so I road with a male co-worker and my son.  Well I tried to keep up with a male co-worker and my son.  And there in lies the problem.  I simply ran out of gas - my legs were fried.

I realized I had bonked when I came out of the last rest stop, around mile 40.  And knowing the course - I knew there were plenty of hills to come - not big hills, but long gradual hills right smack into the wind.

In the end I made it in 3:23 for an avg pace of 14.9.

I am feeling a little bit dejected - wondering how much is age related, after all I am 57 years old - and how much was just the day.
For now I will be thinking that it was just the day - some days you have it and some days you don't.

In two weeks I get to try again - I am participating in the MS 150 Best Dam Bike Ride.  Two days of biking 75 miles per day!


No comments:

Post a Comment