Pages

Why am I Running from Cancer?

Why am I Running from Cancer?. . . check out this post for an explanation

Monday, July 18, 2011

DANG Hamstring!

My right hamstring has been making itself felt for the last month or so. Nothing major - just a constant irritant.


I finally listened and took 9 days off from running.

I had signed up for the June 14th - Movin Shoes 5k Full Moon run and decided that I would still run that race - just take it easy. No running for 9 days - as I mentioned in my last post the hamstring felt OK until mile 3, at which time it said "hey - don't forget me!" so I listened and slowed down.

After the race, it felt fine and Friday it felt fine.

Since biking never bothers my hamstring I road in the Boys and Girls Club 50 mile bike ride on Saturday and still no unusual hamstring pain. Since I am trying to train for the MS 150 bike ride, which is a Saturday and Sunday bike ride of 75 miles each day - it is important to get back on the bike the next day after a long ride.

So Sunday morning my husband and I hopped on our bikes and did a slow 7 mile ride. I then dropped him back off at home, adjusted my bike computer and hopped back on my bike for 10 more miles. Somewhere during the "hopping" onto my bike, I had to make a sudden jerky movement with my right leg and OUCH! there was that stupid hamstring laughing at me. "Ha Ha - I am still hanging around and if I want, I can make your life miserable". I continued on with the bike ride - because it doesn't hurt during biking.

Stretched afterwards, while watching the Women's World Cup :-(

This morning I got up with the hopes of running a slow 2 - 3 miles . . . but that was NOT going to happen.



The hamstring feels like it is right back where I started. DANG! So I will stay off of it for the rest of the week.



The bad news is that I have already signed up for the Madison Mini Marathon, August 20th. I am losing training and need to get some long runs in.

The good news is that we are expecting extreme heat and humidity this week, which makes running difficult for me. This morning at 6AM the temp was 81 with a dew point of 77 - which makes for 88% humidity.



So I will take this week off and work on biking and walking and icing my hamstring . . . in hopes that I can tackle a 3 mile run this weekend.



Peace

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! I hope the extra rest helps things in time for your race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the exact same boat! So frustrated with my right hamstring.

    I'll send lots of positive healing energy to yours.

    ReplyDelete