Pages

Why am I Running from Cancer?

Why am I Running from Cancer?. . . check out this post for an explanation

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Preparing for bitter. . .

. . . bitter cold, but not quite yet!

Temp's have been pretty frigid lately. Mid-day temp's have been single digits with a few days in the teens. The news over the last few days have been full of foreboding about the temperatures to come. Much colder, very windy, frigid, frigid temperatures. Madison Schools and all other schools in the area have cancelled classes for Monday. Obviously just about the entire country is getting cold temps's but come Sunday evening and Monday the thermometer will read negative numbers. Combined with high winds the "feels like" temp will be 40-50 below zero and near 75 below in certain areas. That is beyond cold . . . but today, was unbelievably mild. Temp's were in the low 30's. Sophie and I headed out early for a run. We ended up running 5 1/2 + miles. I took my gloves off and unzipped my jacket and top. It was windy, but not that windy!

This afternoon we went snowshoeing at Token Creek. The location is on State hunting and fishing land, so there are no restrictions about taking our dog and Sophie loves the snow! We just don't go during hunting season!

It was so beautiful - protected from the wind - mild temp's - sticky snow - snow balls on Sophie.

On our way home, we made a quick stop at the grocery store. I needed carrots for our dinner. Another recipe from Jenna's blog: eat, live, run - Kicked Up Turkey Meatloaf, HERE. The grocery store was super busy. There were no carts or hand held baskets available when I came through the doors! it looked like everyone in the neighborhood was stocking up for the cold . . . and all I needed was carrots! But I can never walk out with just one thing, so I also picked up a 6 pack of New Glarus Cabin Fever, afterall, with a name like that, how could I pass it up.
Back home we prepared the meatloaf and then settled in to watch the last episode of 'orange is the new black'. If you haven't watched it, I love it! I could not believe how the season ended!!!!! Oh my!!!!!!
Back to the food: Todd took the first bite - oh, it is really good! I followed and said the same thing. There is a cup of cooked lentils in it, something I have never made. I realize they are just legumes - but I have never used lentils in anything I have ever made. On top, there was a wonderful glaze made with balsamic vinegar, maple syrup and ketsup that added a little sweetness to the meatloaf.

Enjoy the moments, even if they are freezing!

 

1 comment:

  1. Love your snow pictures! I'm here in Virginia and getting lots of rain.....no snow! We just got a puppy before christmas and I'm anxious to see how he reacts to snow when we finally get some. Enjoy your snow. I'm so jealous!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete