Pages

Why am I Running from Cancer?

Why am I Running from Cancer?. . . check out this post for an explanation

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Haunted Hustle 1/2 marathon - SATURDAY

Today is actually a self imposed rest day - no running and I actually slept a little too late to take the dog on her walk . . .  trying to write a quick blog update instead.


The weather has been crazy windy here in Wisconsin.  Yesterday winds were clocked at 70 miles per hour on the UW campus.  Our neighbors willow tree fell on their house.  (A roof that is less than 1 month old . . .   ;-(


  


The Haunted Hustle 1/2 marathon is Saturday.  Since it OBVIOUSLY has a Halloween theme I have been sporadically thinking about what I might be.  I keep on going back and forth between wanting to wear a costume and not.  I just don't know about wearing a costume for 13 miles.  I am not the strongest runner and certainly don't want to be BUGGED by my costume.  ?????   
My two choices are a witch or pumpkin.  I have a witches dress and hat . . . it is a long dress - but I can make it into a shorter version so that I can run.  I would also be able to wear capri's and a regular shirt underneath.  I would need to figure out some way of attaching the witches hat to the dress, so that I could have it on my back during most of the race.  My other idea is to be a jack-o-lantern.  I would have to sew a top, making it big enough to be filled with some small balloons to add size - but not heavy bulk.  I already have a piece of appropriate fabric.  I would them wear the same black capri's and shirt.  


So here is the question - has anyone run in a costume?  Am I crazy to be considering a costume for 13 miles?  I know you are not suppose to try something different for a race . . . but what the heck!  


I will post a picture of the dress and hat this evening.  Got to hop in the shower and get ready for work.  


Have a great ghoulish day!  

2 comments:

  1. I've never run in a costume, but if I were you, I would look at what running gear you have that could be modified with something simple. Like, compression sleeves and socks with a running skirt and top look at LOT like a SUPER HERO costume if you add a short cape... I wouldn't try to run a HALF in a balloon filled pumpkin, and I DO consider myself a strong runner at the half distance.

    I really just dropped by to say that I admired your comments on Setting You Free. That was exactly what needed to be said, and you said it very well. Thanks for that, I'm going to try to remember those comments regarding my (2nd) marathon, which is coming up in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll be adorable and can't imagine running with balloons in your costume, though. I know that so many people are going in costume. it should be a blast! I hope it's not freezing -- and i could really do without all this wind! Hope to get to meet up with you on saturday. I'll just be in festive colored running clothes. :-)

    ReplyDelete