Pages

Why am I Running from Cancer?

Why am I Running from Cancer?. . . check out this post for an explanation

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Memorial

This morning started with coffee on the patio - then off for a run with Sophie. We did the 2 mile loop around the neighborhood and stopped for pic's of our daily view of the Sandhill cranes. These two are at the park every morning.   
After the loop, Sophie got dropped back off at home and then I headed back out for 3.25 more miles - for a total of 5.25. I am running the Tyranena Half Barrel (13.1 miles) run in November and decided to start a training program to get ready. Today was a "longish" run. I usually don't follow a training program - I just start adding mileage, but figured a structured approach can only help. Even at 57 I find that I am still a semi competitive person. With the race in early November the temperatures shouldn't be a problem and I am hoping to run a personal best - which would be under 2:07. I will take any help I can get. The training will include a little bit of speed work - progressively longer runs and cross training.   

Mid morning we restained the deck. Lucky for us, it is a small deck. It was warm in the sun. the color in the after photo looks blue - but is grey. We only did the decking - so the early evening light is altering the color.

We then headed to Milwaukee for a "celebration of life" for an Aunt of Todd's. His Aunt Darlene died of brain cancer. She was diagnosed in early March and died 4 months later.  She was 82 years old and had been in great shape. The family put on a wonderful celebration - she would have been proud. Her husband George is extremely sad, missing the women he had been married to for 61 years. His children are concerned about him. He and Darlene had made a home in Florida and returned to WI during the summer months to visit family. He still wants to head back to Florida in the fall - but has no basic skills because his wife did everything. Seems hard to believe that in all these years he didn't do laundry, cook, clean, schedule appointments or pay bills. All the basics for life. Are they part of the last generation where the women did all the household chores? These seem like such simple things - and we all know they are not difficult tasks to master - but obviously difficult for an 85 yr old. My prayers are heading his way.

My goals for the week - 
  1. eat fruit every morning and enjoy eating it ourside along with my cup of coffee
  2. Order Canon PowerShot SX280 HS 
  3. bike to work 4 days this week
  4. take the boat out after work 
  5. Complete week 1 of training which includes the following. 
    WEEKMONTUEWEDTHUFRISATSUN
    1Stretch & strengthen3 m run5 x 400 5-K pace3 m run + strengthRest3 m run5 m run

Ending this post with a couple of zinnias from my garden. 

Enjoy the moments!


No comments:

Post a Comment